Monday, December 2, 2013

Chili

It's been cold lately and anytime this kind of weather hits, I immediately want chili! For the first 4 years of our relationship, I was afraid to make chili for my husband... I was scared he wouldn't like it! Now, it's one of his favorite things that I make -- and he tells me I owe him 4 years worth of makeup chili!! :P

My mom used canned chili. Other people make chili too "tomato-ey" (Yes, that is totally a word!) So, this is my version! I typically make it with spaghetti noodles, but it tastes great without as well (We made chili dogs with it and it ROCKED!)

Chili

Ingredients
1 small can of tomato sauce
1 can of mild chili beans

1 can of dark red kidney beans (drained)
1 can Rotel tomatoes
1/2 cup of water
1 small onion chopped
1- 1 1/2 lb ground beef (or ground turkey)
1 small pkg Bloemers chili powder

*Optional* Spaghetti or any type of noodle

Directions
Combine chili beans, kidney beans, tomato sauce, water and Rotel in a large pot
Put on medium heat
Brown meat and chopped onion in a medium skillet
Drain and return to skillet
Add chili powder and stir until all meat is coated
Then add meat to chili pot

*Now for the secret ingredient... Taco sauce! I add about a cup to the chili -- it gives extra flavor & cuts the tomato-ey flavor too!

If you choose to add noodles, follow the below steps:
Take a handful of spaghetti, break into 3 sections and drop into a pot of boiling water
Cook til al dente.
Drain water and add noodles to chili pot

Now, I must confess about the secret ingredient. One day, I was making a double batch of chili and realized I didn't have extra tomato sauce. So, I had all this meat and beans and tomatoes and it was going to be OH SO DRY if I didn't figure out something fast! I happened upon about 1/2 jar of leftover taco sauce in my fridge and thought "What the heck! I'll give it a shot!" And the rest (as they say) is history! I haven't made a pot of chili without it since that day :)

This chili goes GREAT with cornbread muffins! I like to break mine up all into the same bowl with my chili. YUM-O!

No comments:

Post a Comment