Thursday, September 24, 2015

AMAZE-balls Enchilada Sauce

For girl's dinner at my place this past week, I decided to make chicken enchiladas. The problem: I HATE canned/jarred enchilada sauce! The last time I made them, I just used plain ol' taco sauce, but, for this go-round, I wanted to kick things up a notch! 

Hence, I found (and tweaked) this enchilada sauce and it is awesome!  
Enchilada Sauce

Ingredients
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp flour
4 tbsp chili powder (I used Bloemer's but any good brand will do)
1/2 tsp garlic powder 
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cumin
pinch of cayenne or crushed red pepper flake (just a lil heat!)
1/2 tsp oregano
2 1/2-3 cups chicken stock

Directions
Heat oil in a small pan over medium heat

Add flour and stir together for about 1 minute
Stir in all of spices
Then gradually add chicken stock, whisking to remove lumps
(Original recipe called for 2 cups of stock, but I found I needed a bit more liquid to thin out the sauce and make it pourable... Yes, that is a word!) :) 

Pour over enchiladas, top with cheese and bake til bubbly

Next time, I am going to make more than 1 batch so I can refrigerate/save for another batch. It should keep for approx 2 weeks

No comments:

Post a Comment