Thursday, November 28, 2013

Pumpkin Muffin Stuffin'

In honor of Thanksgiving, my first recipe post is for my super yummy Pumpkin Muffin Stuffin'! Yep, you heard right. And let me tell you... It is DELICIOUS!! I enjoy regular ol' cornbread stuffing like anyone else, but this, you have to try it to believe how good it is! 

So, the first thing is pumpkin muffins. Last year when I made this, I bought already made pumpkin muffins from Mimi's Cafe (which were awesome) But this year, I wanted to make my own fresh muffins. Here is my easy peasy 2-ingredient pumpkin muffin recipe (yes, I really said 2 ingredients!)

Pumpkin Muffins

Ingredients
1 package of spice cake mix
1 can of pumpkin puree 

If you end up with pumpkin pie filling instead (which is easy to do), it already has all of the spices built in. So, just use plain yellow or white cake to avoid spice-overkill! :)

Directions
Preheat oven to 350
Generously grease muffin pan 
In a large bowl, mix spice cake mix and canned pumpkin until well blended
Fill each muffin section 1/2 to 3/4 of the way full
Bake between 30-35 minutes (for larger muffins... smaller size will take around 20 min)

Now the muffins are done, let's move on to making the stuffing!

Pumpkin Muffin Stuffin'

Ingredients
1 lb. of sausage (you can use mild or hot, your preference)
6 pumpkin muffins
5 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon of celery root (you can also use chopped ribs of celery; I just prefer leaving it out)
1 medium onion, chopped
2-3 apples, seeded and chopped (I use Granny Smith to offset the sweetness of the muffins)
1-2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
Salt & pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups of chicken stock (can use a little more if the stuffing looks too dry)

Directions
Preheat broiler 
In a large skillet, brown sausage. Remove from pan and set aside
Add butter to pan. Once melted, add onion, celery (or root) and apples. Add salt and pepper. Cook for 10 min or until softened
Add sausage and crumbled muffins. Combine with apple mixture
Sprinkle poultry season and add chicken stock. Stir to moisten
Transfer to glass baking dish (I used 8x8)
Place stuffing in the oven on broil crispy on top (around 5 min)

Now enjoy the yummy goodness (and don't forget to share with your family!)

No comments:

Post a Comment